Arts On Air -Special Edition

Raina Vanderwerf, Assistant Editor

Studio 200 brings you this special edition of Arts on Air. We consider ourselves storytellers in the Media department. And this year we are dedicating ourselves to produce stories about all of the great artists in our school.

In this episode, Carmen will show you how we get things done in Studio 200; where you can take a closer look. We think that the students are the heartbeat of the school. We love featuring an Artist of the Week. Take a look at who we have showcased so far. We want you to nominate an artist of the week. Contact either Dylan, or Ricarda to make your nomination.

You can take a look at some of our recent news segments you may have missed featuring Q&A with Aijanae, and Behind the Scenes.

We are lucky to have many guest artists visit our school to work with our students. Doctor Barnwell visited our vocal students earlier this month. She is a master teacher and choral clinician in African American cultural performance. Our news reporter, Bella, was on the beat to watch our vocal students participating in her workshop “Building a Vocal Community Singing in the African American Tradition”.

An important part of the work we do as storytellers, is to learn as much as we can about others. We do this because it teaches us about humanity, it builds our connection to all types of people, and it teaches us one of the most valuable tools, to listen. T’yonna invited three Buffalo Police Officers in to Studio 200 so she could listen to their stories.

Another way our media students explore the art of video production is through experimentation. In fact, the discovery of motion picture film ITSELF was the result of a photography experiment. Sure, sometimes experimental films can feel a bit abstract, but without experimental approaches, we would all still be reading books by candlelight for entertainment. You will enjoy a few of these experimental works from our Media Students during the show.

At the Arts Academy, we pride ourselves in celebrating Black History through a program of song, dance, art and film. This year the program will focus on WEB DUBOIS; who was a spokesperson for full and equal rights in every aspect of a person’s life and dedicated his career to the fulfillment of this goal. Our students are producing films about Dubois for the Black History Celebration. You can take a look at an animation that is still in production by two of our students, Tyla and Miriam.

And what better way to get into the holiday spirit than to invite music students to our studios. During the show you will enjoy the music stylings of our talented music students.

Thank you for watching our special edition of Arts On Air. We will be bringing you regular stories from inside Arts Academy in 2019, so stay tuned! Until next time, be bold, be you, show your skills, Arts Academy!

WISHING YOU A VERY HAPPY NEW YEAR FROM STUDIO 200!